University of North Carolina at Charlotte
UNC Charlotte was founded after World War II in response to rising education demands generated by the war and technology.
To serve returning veterans, North Carolina opened 14 evening college centers with The Charlotte Center opening in Sept. 23, 1946. After three years, the state closed the centers and Charlotte’s education and business leaders advocated to have the Charlotte Center taken over by the city school district and operated as Charlotte College to offer the first two years of college courses. Charlotte leadership later asked Charlotte voters to support a two-cent tax for the college. Charlotte College drew students from the region and the two-cent tax was later extended to include all of Mecklenburg County. The State of North Carolina later provided funding for the school.
In 1961, Charlotte College moved into two new buildings on a campus 10 miles from downtown Charlotte and in 1965, the legislature approved bills creating the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, the state’s fourth campus. The school started offering programs leading to master’s degrees in 1969.
Today, UNC Charlotte is the fourth largest of 16 institutions in the University of North Carolina system. With seven professional colleges, 18 doctoral programs, 62 master’s degrees and 90 bachelor’s degrees, UNC Charlotte enrolls over 22,000 students annually and operates as a research university as well.