Leak-Goforth Company Study
Three drivers prompted the Leak-Goforth Company Study:
- Need to diversify and expand the tax bases of the three towns, which have become bedroom communities
- Need to expand job opportunities for residents (many commuters)
- Need to upgrade local jobs that are predominantly lower wage retail and service occupations
The Leak-Goforth team said "particular attention should focus on the needs of businesses and industries which serve external markets, rather than needs generated by the local population and other business activities in the area. True economic development involves the attraction and retention of firms which help drive the local economy, not depend on it."
The team suggested identifying and planning for a diverse range of economic development location sizes, types and costs throughout North Mecklenburg with the goal of reaching a broader market. This includes making locations available for image-conscious developers looking for high visibility and other businesses searching for less expensive options.
Three Development Types Suggested:
- Industrial Parks & Sites (four potential locations proposed)
- Office Parks and large free-standing sites (six potential locations identified)
- Business Parks (three potential locations proposed)
- Transit-Oriented Development (five locations & lone alternative noted)